There are many auto insurance discounts on offer for motorists. Some of them take time to qualify for and some work and planning may be required. However, there are easy ones that are available to almost everyone as well. Drivers should at least try to get a few simple ones while they line themselves up for the ones that take time. Here are some of the ways of reducing premiums.
1) Buy a Safer Automobile: Safer cars with smaller engines cost less to insure. Sports cars, 4x4s and SUVs cost more! The choice of automobile becomes more important for high risk drivers.
2) Theft Proof Your Auto: Defending it with an immobiliser, alarm and tracker will also reduce the risk of it being stolen, and reduce premiums.
3) Increase Deductibles: The higher the deductibles, the less you should pay in premiums. Remember to be sensible and not to go over the amount you can afford to pay.
4) Shop Around until You Find the Best Quote: Find yourself a good auto insurance comparison website and get a few quotes. Compare them and see which one will fit your requirements best. You should aim to get around five vehicle insurance quotes to get a good picture.
5) Change the Title of Your Occupation: Jobs that come with good education and are less labour intensive can save you money on premiums. As long as it can still describe what you do for a living you can change your job title to a more professional sounding one.
6) Asking Discounts from Current Insurer: Having a friendly conversation with your agent may save you money. Just tell them that you would want to stay with them but like to save a little bit of money. If you have lower alternative quotes ask them to beat it. It would be a better option than switching if you are happy with the service. Often, auto insurance companies match prices if you are a desirable enough policyholder.
7) If Money Can Be Saved You May Drop Some Coverage: Some companies like to load the policies with interesting sounding coverage extras. They do this so that they can ask for more money. Unless you get those extras at next to nothing costs you may be better off sticking to essential coverage you need and keep your costs down.
8) Get Married or Moving in Together: Most companies offer lower automobile insurance rates to those in stable relationships. And they accept various cohabitation arrangements and of course marriage. They would ask about other people of driving age in your household anyway. Tell them that you are in a relationship.
9) Get Multi-car Savings: You do not have to own all the cars insured as long as they are used by one of your family members and kept in the same address. Insuring all your family vehicles under one policy can save you money.
10) Buy All Your Policies from the Same Insurer: Multi-car policies are not the only way of saving money. You will probably get a discount for bringing another business to a current provider. This could be another vehicle, home or even life insurance.
11) Take an Advanced Driving Course: This would be a very good idea when you are considered a high risk driver because of accidents and traffic tickets. Some states may even remove points off your driving license when certain courses are completed. Discounts would be around 10%.
12) Pay the Premium Upfront: Monthly Instalments usually incur interest charges. You can avoid paying them when you settle the payment at the start. It may even be more beneficial to pay by your credit card than paying automobile insurance in instalments.
13) Consider ‘Pay As You Drive’ Policies: These policies can be especially economical for young and high risk drivers. It is a good way of proving that you are a sensible driver despite your age or previous record. You will probably need to install a monitoring device on your auto though.
14) Avoid Auto Modifications: Altering the engine size, wheels or adding spoilers will probably increase your rates.
15) Find the Real Value of Your Automobile: If you overestimate the value of your vehicle you will most likely end up paying more for coverage.
16) Watch your Mileage: Going over certain miles can suddenly increase your rates. Usually, 7,000, 12,000 and 28,000 marks are used for calculating the quotes. Over or under these limits will make sizable changes in the costs.
17) Get Quotes Early and Day before Renewal: Quotes are usually valid for a month. If you get quotes early and the rates go up in the meantime you can always use the one you got earlier. You should check again just before buying just in case they have gone down or there are special deals.
18) Park Insured Cars on Driveway or in a Garage: Reducing the risk of theft or damages reduces premiums. People who have private off-road parking pay less for auto insurance.
19) Find a Low Risk Zip Code to Move: If you are looking for a new home try to find areas with lower congestion and auto crime. You can compare the quotes for alternative areas you are planning to move. Your zip code does affect the rates charged.
20) Buy Car Insurance Online: Quite a few auto insurers offer discounts for buying online. Even if you check quotes by phone or through an agent it may be beneficial to complete the purchase online. Also, getting quotes is much faster on the internet.